nightsights for colorblind

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CMiddleton

nightsights for colorblind

Post by CMiddleton »

Anyone out there red/green colorblind? I am looking for nightsights that give the most contrast between the front and the rear site.

Any input would be appreciated.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

I'm not color blind, so I can't say for sure.

Offhand I'd say matte sights with white dots, and something reflective or light gathering.
collin

Post by collin »

As I understand it, you can distinguish between red and green, correct? Can you see things ok that glow either red or green? If so, any nightsights ought to work. I favor the XS 24/7 big dots. They are extremely easy to aquire any time of the day.
Harlie

Not being color

Post by Harlie »

Blind, I'm not sure what happens? Do you just not distingish a color or not see it at all. These are glowing dots, available in three colors and combinations thereof. Wouldn't you be better served looking at a fire arm so equipped to determine what works. Most ardent CCW types have NS equipment, so finding a handgun to check your response shouldn't too hard to locate. If they work for you, there is a place for them in your tool kit.
Keep a keen mind, eye and edge.
INFIDEL, armed, angry and unapolegetic
Ole man from Thunder Mtn
Politicians & diapers should be changed often, both for the same reason
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

CMiddleton:

I am colorblind worse than you are (if you are just red-green), and I have night sights on many of my guns. All you need to do is buy a set and have them installed. The tritium will do the rest. Besides that, in the event you will need to use a gun to protect yourself, lining up the front and rear sights will be the least of your concerns. Learn to point-shoot.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Glock and dagger wrote:CMiddleton:

I am colorblind worse than you are (if you are just red-green), and I have night sights on many of my guns. All you need to do is buy a set and have them installed. The tritium will do the rest. Besides that, in the event you will need to use a gun to protect yourself, lining up the front and rear sights will be the least of your concerns. Learn to point-shoot.
I thought about suggesting tritium. They were stock on my P226.

Practice, practice practice. I am unsure of what 'point shooting' is, I presume it means to shoot as if the gun is an extension of the index finger? I imagine some people can do it.

I never could do that with any precision. Lining up front and rear sights is extremely important for any degree of accuracy. However, when shooting focus on the front sight. The rear sight gets you lined up, but it's the front sight that puts you on the target.

Not always present on CC pistols are wide, blocky sights....which I prefer. Look for a novak type rear sight. Also, visit the gun store and sight a Kahr. They're sight picture is one of the best I've used. The rear sight is cut in the traditional manner, but there's a white post at the bottom in the middle. With practice, you can put the dot on the front sight on top of the post on the rear. It's very fast and very accurate.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Cmiddleton:

I'm a little confused, but that never stopped me from giving advice before, so....

(I just put a set of XS sights - small front sight version - on my second-hand "new" CS45. Superb.)

The tritium sight "dots" or "bars" that I've seen are a very light green - you should see it as a pastel of some sort, or as white. If you can see that, then the trick would be to find some sights with the tritium and colored dots in some color you can see that contrasts with the black (usually) sights. White ought to pass muster, but you may find something better.

If you don't want the tritium, and white doesn't work, you can find all kinds of paint at http://www.brightsights.com. I didn't like the "luminous paint" trick, but the other colors are pretty good, it's not too expensive, and you can remove it if you screw up.

You can find the "XS" people at http://www.xssights.com/cat247.html. The "Express" sights.... The picture on the home page showing the targeted bad guy is pretty close to what I'm trying to explain below - the aiming point is hidden by the front sight, and right where the colored part sits in the middle of the front sight.

I would stick with Novak style sights with three dots - easy to work with. The XS sights use a vertical bar on the rear sight, which works well, too, but I wish they'd paint a white vertical bar "around" the tritium bar.

(One of the gals at the gun shop tells me that another one of them could do that for me, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to talk to her. Her husband is big enough to slather some Gunslick on my head and use me for a pencil....)

Just IMHO, for quick action, the best way to go is a wide front sight and an even wider rear sight opening. No tack-driving, but it'd be quick. The XS sights use a very flat "V" and a large front sight, and you put the "dot" in the "V", but put the dot on the target over the aiming point. That puts the tip of the front sight a bit higher than normal, which takes a bit of getting used to. The XS sights have a tritium bar going downwards from the center of the "V", so in low light, you sort of "dot the 'i'".

With OH's goofy rules, I didn't want to fool with night sights for some time, but it finally occurred to me that there could be situations where you could clearly see the target, but might have trouble seeing the sights because you were in a darker area. Otherwise, I don't see much advantage. Overall, the XS seem to be worth the effort without the tritium....
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Glock and dagger

Practice, practice practice. I am unsure of what 'point shooting' is, I presume it means to shoot as if the gun is an extension of the index finger? I imagine some people can do it.
OK, this is point shooting 101.

When aiming any unscoped firearm, the focal point (or more to the point, the object your attention would be, or should be) on is the front sight. This is true for when you have time to aim your shot, as if you were hunting or target shooting. In short, you focus on the front sight, bring the front sight up to the target, and line up the rear sight with the front sight, and squeeze the trigger. This is standard aiming.

What is different with point shooting? Simple. Now, your focus is on the target, not the front sight. Acquire the target's center of mass (torso), and try to line both sights up at once, and squeeze the trigger. Admittingly, this is not the most accurate form of shooting in the world, but it will do the job at close range, and you'll find that in most defensive situations, they all take place within 3 seconds, within 3 yards, and with 3 shots being fired within that timespan. Aiming is not extremely necessary in this situation.

Check into it. Your life may one day depend on it.

-evan price

SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

What is different with point shooting? Simple. Now, your focus is on the target, not the front sight. Acquire the target's center of mass (torso), and try to line both sights up at once, and squeeze the trigger. Admittingly, this is not the most accurate form of shooting in the world, but it will do the job at close range, and you'll find that in most defensive situations, they all take place within 3 seconds, within 3 yards, and with 3 shots being fired within that timespan. Aiming is not extremely necessary in this situation.
(Good explanation!)

About a million years ago (well, maybe 38 years ago), somebody tried to teach me that, but without using the sights at all....

Hoohah....

Drop into one of the accepted stances and let fly. It works, but more or less to exactly the same point on the backstop every time. Maybe it's me, but if the target moves, or is a bit higher or lower, forget it....

At really short ranges, looking over the sights is a bit better than ignoring them - at least you'll be pointed at something, but it really makes sense (to me, at least) to bring the gun up to something resembling eye level. Besides, you should be dropping down and behind cover, if any, anyhow....

Just IMHO....

The funny thing about that "no sights" thing.... It was at a University Firearms course (Law Enforcement was a "department"). We had some paper rolls, a couple of Crossman pellet guns shaped like S&W Combat Masterpieces or Combat Magnums, and were supposed to get a projector. The projector never showed up, so the Instructor decided to go ahead anyway. We had guys hitting the ceiling, walls, floor, you name it.

Came my turn, and I put my .38 snubbie "elsewhere", picked up the 6" Crossman, and strung six shots straight up the kill zone. Lots of "how the heck did you do that?"

My "duty" gun (I'm an old rent-a-cop) was a 6" Combat Magnum. Pretty much the same feel as the Crossman. I'd practiced that technique before. The Crossman had no recoil at all, and, I was close enough to the target to see the holes, so I could adjust my hand a hair with each shot.

I'm sure the Instructor figured it out, but there were a few guys in the class who I may tell how I did it eventually....

(Imagine - I was carrying on a University Campus. In a roomful of armed guys. Nobody died.... We won't mention that the guys with the guns were Commissioned LE of some sort, and the instructor was retired FBI.... Years later they built a real nice range on-campus, too. I wonder if the forces of Political Correctness managed to get rid of that yet. I gotta ask someday....)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Glock and dagger wrote:
OK, this is point shooting 101.

When aiming any unscoped firearm, the focal point (or more to the point, the object your attention would be, or should be) on is the front sight. This is true for when you have time to aim your shot, as if you were hunting or target shooting. In short, you focus on the front sight, bring the front sight up to the target, and line up the rear sight with the front sight, and squeeze the trigger. This is standard aiming.

Check into it. Your life may one day depend on it.
I described this style of shooting in reference to a four legged critter of the feline species.....of a very annoying nature....unfortunately....my post was deleted and it earned me the title of criminal...according to one of your moderators who goes by the name of dan white.

Apparently....shooting transgressive humans on this forum is all well and good...just don't shoot cats....don't even use 'em for practice.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

SMMAssociates wrote:
Hoohah....

The projector never showed up, so the Instructor decided to go ahead anyway. We had guys hitting the ceiling, walls, floor, you name it.

Came my turn, and I put my .38 snubbie "elsewhere", picked up the 6" Crossman, and strung six shots straight up the kill zone. Lots of "how the heck did you do that?"

Regards,
Heck, I made up a home defense 'shotgun' you know...the ones wth the pistol grip, mag extension....open choke..all that evil lookin' stuff.

A fella'd figure if he could hit anything from the hip it would be with that thing, right???

Wrong.

I guarantee...I can put more lead in the circle with a good pistol, sighted at eye level than I ever did with that ridiculous scattergun.

If sights are so unimportant, why do you suppose law enforcement always insists on the best???

I ain't no great shot...but I can say with conviction my best shots are with sights, at eye level ...lined up. With practice, I can hit the beer can 10 out of 10.

Watch yourself, you are not making me happy -Collin
Glock and dagger

I am not a firearms instructor. I have been trained by some excellent teachers (13 of them, to date), that have given me all areas of training.

In short, this is the accumulation of rifle tactics for shooting to live (not all encompassing)

1. Practice (duh).
2. Get the rifle on your shoulder, where it belongs.
3. Sights up!!
4. Do not overload it with gadgets.
5. You don't need a "Lexus" gun to be a good shot.
6. Aim for the center of mass.
7. Squeeze the trigger... don't jerk it (It isn't your penis, you know).
8. Do not close your eyes while firing.
9. A quick miss is better than a long hit.
10. Confirm target before firing.

Here are shotgun rules:

1. Practice (true, but not to the same extent of rifle shooting)
2. Get the shotgun on your shoulder. Just because it sprays doesn't mean it doesn't need aimed.
3. Shoot one, reload one.
4. Shotguns do not need lasers, or other stupid contraptions. Extended mag capacity, shell carriers and flashlights are a different story.
5. 00 buck is your best bet.
6. A shotgun is not a rifle. Aiming is less critical, but still is important.
7. Smooth pull.
8. Keep both eyes open in CQB engagements.
9. Chuck a shot at the bad guy. Do not "warn them" by pumping the gun. This could get you killed.
10. At night, confirm target with flashlight. Also, the light cone from the flashlight can aid in aiming, while blinding a bad guy.

Handgun rules:

1. Practice point shooting.
2. Do not point the sidearm up. If the barrel is down and you are surprised, you can shoot aggressor in the foot. If it is up, you will waste ammo.
3. Learn quick mag changes.
4. Use high capacity magazines, whenever possible. There is a reason the police do, but you probably won't be calling for back-up.
5. Use hollow points. And preferrably, no smaller than 9mm Para or .38 Special.
6. To put it into comparitive terms, a sidearm is not a battle axe, like a shotgun, nor it a sword, like a rifle. It is a dagger, and it has serious limitations to it, unlike its cousins. Be aware of this.
7. If ever trigger pull was important, it is here with the smallest, lightest firearm. When firing a sidearm one-handed, your thumb is your worst enemy. Try it, sometime, and see if I'm not right. Straighten it up, and see if it doesn't help.
8. Sights vertical. That sideways gangsta' $#!t is not going to cut it, here. You have given up any and all advantages by doing this.
9. Practice drawing your gun. Every nanosecond is important.
10. Center of mass shots. Don't try getting every bullet through the same hole.

Consider these observations, and feel free to add to the list.

-evan price