Cool gadget

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Cool gadget

Post by Petrovich »

A vendor on Ebay was selling 5/16" acrylic rods. I bought 80 pieces 18 inches long.

Cut them into 6" pieces, smooth the edges, heat slightly, bend and Voila!

I think I'll give these out at Christmas to my gun associates.

Hey, it's the thought that counts. :D
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

I'm confused. Why would a gun nut want one of these? What would you use it for? Enlighten me in my ignorance.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

I'm assuming a light pipe for bores, actions, nooks and crannies.
rhwiley

Post by rhwiley »

It looks alot like the optic rods included in the new cleaning kits we were issued for the M-16.

If it is, they're really handy for lighting up tight areas and spotting carbon deposits in bores (especially on long ones). Matter of fact that rod is about the only thing I like in the new kits.

I hope you found a cheap supplier and bought them in a large lot (they should make great presents for gun-loving friends).

Bob Wiley
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Brian_Horton wrote:I'm confused. Why would a gun nut want one of these? What would you use it for? Enlighten me in my ignorance.
Happy to Brian, heck...I'll even give you one if you send me your snail mail address.....jemler@columbus.rr.com

It's a bore light. It's great because you don't have to change any batteries or bulbs, and if you lose it, or it 'walks off' you ain't out nothing. I got about 45 cents in it and a couple minutes time.

Basically it just directs ambient light into the chamber. It's not real bright, of course, and it helps if there's plenty of light in the room. Hey, whaddaya expect for 45 cents??

I just cut the rod with a tubing cutter into six inch lengths, smoothed the ends with emory paper....heated up some water in the microwave...dunked the end of the rod in the hot water for half a minute and gently bent it in a 45 angle.

They'll make nice presents at the range, or at the gunstore or whatever.
rhwiley wrote: I hope you found a cheap supplier and bought them in a large lot (they should make great presents for gun-loving friends).

Bob Wiley
I have enough rod to make over 200 of them. :D Cost me 35 bucks with shipping.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Have you tried to put a high polish on the ends, or at least the end you want the light to come out of, on the rods before bending? I think you will notice more light out of it and a little stream light stylis (sp) would put a good beam through it. IMO
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Willy P wrote:Have you tried to put a high polish on the ends, or at least the end you want the light to come out of, on the rods before bending? I think you will notice more light out of it and a little stream light stylis (sp) would put a good beam through it. IMO
Yeah, I am looking for something that will polish the end. The emory paper kinda gives it a matte finish. I tried a piece of denim (my pant leg) and that seems to show promise. :D

A light shown directly on it, as it's in the chamber, greatly increases light transmission.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

I use a fiber optic cutter at work but it is too small for your application. I would suggest that to polish you try chucking the unbent stick in a drill and run the end against first grey scothbrite and then try toothpaste on a brown paper bag for a final polish. It works great on metal and I would expect it to on whatever composition your sticks are.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Willy P wrote:I use a fiber optic cutter at work but it is too small for your application. I would suggest that to polish you try chucking the unbent stick in a drill and run the end against first grey scothbrite and then try toothpaste on a brown paper bag for a final polish. It works great on metal and I would expect it to on whatever composition your sticks are.
Now there's an idea. That might also work for cutting them....it makes my wrist tired, even though all that's needed is a deep score and the thing will break. What is grey scotchbrite and where do I get it?
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

scotchbrite is graded by color. Green and red are the basic or common grades. Grey is extra fine. I am not sure where all carries that. A call to Home Depot or Lowes might be in order. What I use at work I get there and I'm not sure who the actual supplier is but I bet you and I are not able to buy from them. A really good hobby shop would most likely have it too. I started to suggest that you try flaming the ends but I think it will "bend" the light. You can try it though and see. Propane torch and a light hand or it will flame up. Don't breath any fumes as acrylic ester may be present. VERY BAD!!!
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Willy P wrote:scotchbrite is graded by color. Green and red are the basic or common grades. Grey is extra fine. I am not sure where all carries that. A call to Home Depot or Lowes might be in order. What I use at work I get there and I'm not sure who the actual supplier is but I bet you and I are not able to buy from them. A really good hobby shop would most likely have it too. I started to suggest that you try flaming the ends but I think it will "bend" the light. You can try it though and see. Propane torch and a light hand or it will flame up. Don't breath any fumes as acrylic ester may be present. VERY BAD!!!
I used a flame to bend the first couple I made. It causes the acrylic to develop little bubbles. Now that you mention it, I think I've seen the scotchbrite at Lowe's.

Anybody on the forum who wants one of these ingenious, technically advanced, computer designed, high tech, space age gadgets send me a SASE and I'll send you one. jemler@columbus.rr.com

:D :D :D :D :D :D
oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by oldmic »

I remembered this from when I cut down the windshield on a motorcycle - maybe it would work on the end of the rod too.

"The final step that produces that "Factory" edge is sort of delicate. If you slip here you will have a spotted shield!
Most hardware stores sell M.E.K. (methyl ethyl keytone) as a universal solvent. This stuff "Melts" plastic.
Moisten a COTTON rag just big enough to wrap over your index finger. Get it very wet, but not dripping. With a
steady motion, wipe the newly sanded edge in one smooth stroke. WOW !!! It turns clear !!"
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Isn't MEK taken into and stored in one of your internal organs ( I'm thinking liver ) and with enough exposure and storage something gross happens and death is a side effect?? Seems like I remember that from when I had a paint area at work and was forced to deal with it on a daily basis. MSDS has it on it.
oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by oldmic »

Willy P wrote:Isn't MEK taken into and stored in one of your internal organs ( I'm thinking liver ) and with enough exposure and storage something gross happens and death is a side effect?? Seems like I remember that from when I had a paint area at work and was forced to deal with it on a daily basis. MSDS has it on it.
Could very well be - given enough exposure, or used without proper ventilation. I bought a small can at the local hardware store and observed the warning on the label.

So far so good, it didn't seem to have any lakndrinhongkkdkkffrka............AAarrrrghhhh. :lol:

Just a suggestion that worked well for me.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Willy P wrote:Isn't MEK taken into and stored in one of your internal organs ( I'm thinking liver ) and with enough exposure and storage something gross happens and death is a side effect?? Seems like I remember that from when I had a paint area at work and was forced to deal with it on a daily basis. MSDS has it on it.
Hah!!!!! So much for smoking and drinking beer....go ahead and enjoy.....

The MEK will kill ya!!! :D :D :D :D