Carry recommendation for wife

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

westsidebestside

Carry recommendation for wife

Post by westsidebestside »

My wife currently carries the Springfield XDs 9mm. She likes everything about it other than the fact that is just a bit heavy. I'm looking for ideas on guns for her to try that may be a touch lighter without a significant additional amount of kick. Any ideas appreciated.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Carry recommendation for wife

Post by Mr. Glock »

Gun weight and recoil are highly related, allowing for different grip shapes fitting different folks better or worse (and thus impacting perceived recoil). The very best idea is to go to a gun range where they rent different 9mm compact hand guns and have her give them all a try. You spend upfront, but don't have the time/hassle of buying the wrong "next" gun.

My only gun advice is to stick to the better-quality names.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

23 oz is not too heavy for a skinny 9mm but there are other options.

Kahr CW9, same capacity as your XD is 15.8 ounces. CM9 or CT9 (6 & 8 capacity) will weigh a little less or more.

Taurus GS2 is about 21 ounces, Keltec P11 is 14 ounces and SCCY is 15 ounces, these are all double stack which will have a little wider grip and softer on the hand.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
ruger

Post by ruger »

Smith & Wesson MP 380 EZ ?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'd recommend the S&W Shield Mod 2 in 9mm (comes in versions with and without a manual safety). 18.3oz, single stack, 7 rounds (comes with an 8 round extended mag as well). The Mod 2 has a much improved grip surface, so you'd probably want to choose it over the older original Shield. All-in-all, a very capable, well-made sub-compact.

Ruger LC9s might be another option at 17.2oz (single stack, 7 rounds). My wife likes hers, the only issue is the mag release is a tad small and difficult to manipulate.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote:I'd recommend the S&W Shield Mod 2 in 9mm (comes in versions with and without a manual safety). 18.3oz, single stack, 7 rounds (comes with an 8 round extended mag as well). The Mod 2 has a much improved grip surface, so you'd probably want to choose it over the older original Shield. All-in-all, a very capable, well-made sub-compact.
The Shield 2.0 also (generally speaking) has a better trigger than the original.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:I'd recommend the S&W Shield Mod 2 in 9mm (comes in versions with and without a manual safety). 18.3oz, single stack, 7 rounds (comes with an 8 round extended mag as well). The Mod 2 has a much improved grip surface, so you'd probably want to choose it over the older original Shield. All-in-all, a very capable, well-made sub-compact.
The Shield 2.0 also (generally speaking) has a better trigger than the original.
I had heard that as well, but I haven't shot them side-by-side to compare. Going by memory of the feel of the original I didn't see much difference.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

M&P shield would be my recommendation !!!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

westsidebestside wrote:My wife currently carries the Springfield XDs 9mm. She likes everything about it other than the fact that is just a bit heavy. I'm looking for ideas on guns for her to try that may be a touch lighter without a significant additional amount of kick. Any ideas appreciated.
I'm not trying to derail or be argumentative, just tossing in my view.

I have found with some folks (certainly some females) that finding a "good" gun for them is damn difficult. It sounds like she is MOST of the way there with this one! You say it is a bit heavy... HOW so? On the range when shooting? Or for carry? Because I would direct some action toward that before looking for a different gun.

As in, if it's too heavy on the range, shoot MORE or practice more with gun handling at home and a routine of free weights to build strength which will pay off handsomely in many ways. If it's too heavy for carry, address the carry method. On person? Better holster, belt, rig, setup, or combination of all of these. If it's off-body carry such as a purse... a better purse, made for the job!

Lastly... it is horribly difficult to go to a lighter handgun (same caliber) and not pick up extra felt recoil. It is possible (bore axis height, frame design, lock up method) but the weight of the handgun is EASILY the biggest factor. You might find some success in moving to different ammo in attempt to reduce felt recoil.

I suppose a summary of my thoughts is that it often isn't easy finding the right combination of gun, caliber, holster, ammo and such to make a (capable!) defense gun comfortable for some shooters. And when I read your opening post, it sounds like she's already REALLY close with this one, I would think the path of least resistance is to stick with this one.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

Brian D. wrote:
I always heard about bad Shield triggers but as of 3 years ago everyone I ever handled was smooth as silk before the 2.0. I had bought two and they have great triggers. I did put Talon rubber grips on them.
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks
pkd

Post by pkd »

You haven't stated if she has the 3.3" or 4" XDS (21.5oz and 25oz, respectively).

The Shield 1.0 9mm weighs in at 20.8oz and the 2.0 at 18.3oz.

I can't speak to the trigger on the 1.0 as I own a Performance Center model with upgraded trigger, but the stock 2.0 is reported to have an improved trigger over the 1.0, placing it somewhere between a stock 1.0 and a PC trigger.

Apex is the go to for trigger upgrades on the Shield should that be a consideration: https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirec ... egoryId=73" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;