Extensive holster company list - complete with links

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jeep45238

Re: Extensive holster company list - complete with links

Post by jeep45238 »

TSiWRX wrote:^ His stuff has just gotten better and better.

I have one of his earlier holsters for my G32.

You wouldn't happen to have a Comp-Tac 2-o'clock to compare that with, would you?
I just got an email from Tom, after asking how he goes about making these things and if he would consider doing a P226. Everything on this holster is incredibly symmetrical and smooth, retention lines are extremely crisp. It’s obviously not made by hand, and the initial setup couldn’t have been cheap.

Here’s his response, and is part of the attention to detail that I just haven’t found in many makers, especially those that are not high volume (and then the high volume ones tend to be crap anyway). Pricing info redacted.

————————————————————————————————-

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. The gun is modeled and then defeatured to smooth things out and/or add compatibility. In your case it should fit all LCR's. We machine in plastic, test, and then aluminum. We vacuum form over the molds, drill holes, rough trim, then route out. The initial set up is a little costly. Pricing is to be kept low key, but it's easy to find... A mold like the LCR with the features and trim stuff would run about $XXXX-XXXX by the time all costs are factored in. Not terrible though because once they're done my work time to produce the same holster is lower and that's where I need to be. My biggest pet peeve is some of the less than stellar stuff that varies enough that an instructor can get a product and love it but then a person they referred to the maker gets a product that's not the same. Going this way eliminates that part but also ensures that so many other little details are consistent too.
The 226 is a goal but I'd need to get 20-30 holsters committed to do them how I want.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Brian D. wrote:Us hard core holster junkies should have a big show and tell get together sometime. Bring examples of the best and worst stuff we've purchased through the years. Would probably go on for a couple days, lodging would need to be booked.
^ That or a camping trip, where a giant bonfire would devour all the worst stuff. :lol: Probably would be an EPA violation, though.....

------

jeep45238 wrote: That’s a big thing that I’ve really come to appreciate with Tom’s work - continuous improvement. I’ve talked with folks that posted pictures of his gear that they’ve been using for a while that happened to be outdated. He contacted them, and offered a free replacement to the newest offerings. I’ve never heard of that with any other holster makers (ones that make good gear at least).
Agreed. That is definitely unique, and for one thing, I really do think that this practice makes him stand out in what is really a pretty crowded field.

There's some good guys and gals out there who really put a lot of thought into their stuff and execute them really, really beautifully, but this kind of follow-up and follow-through is truly exceptional.
No, I don’t have a 2-o’clock on hand. I looked up a picture of one, and I’m hesitant about it. The mounting clip they showed is at an angle that would put the front strap even with the belt, and I don’t see how you could get a grip on the thing in any time at all.
I think it depends on the particular person's setup, more specifically, exactly what hardware they use:

^ This isn't mine, and it's a got a modified attachment for the belt-hook - ostensibly to also clear the front strap better. I think there may have been earlier versions which had the clip located too far up the holster body and/or there may be shooters who configured the holster differently, for deeper concealment carry.

The way mine came looks exactly like this one:

- which, with the J-clip, places the top of the belt-line just below the cylinder flare.

I haven't worn it much at all, though, so I was wondering if there were any direct comparisons to be made. :)
Side benefit of the clip in gym shorts/light weight pants without a belt - the gun pivots with your body when walking/sitting, mitigating printing, improving comfort, and for some reason making for a more natural drawstroke. Pretty neat.
I think I should really pick up some of those metal UltiClips. That would really make the flyweight revolver very useful - the context of the gym/exercise clothing.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

In fairness the 2oclock on their site is for a semi, maybe they changed attachments.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Agreed.

And there's some deep concealment techniques out there that I really should practice, too. :oops:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
jgunner22

Post by jgunner22 »

That’s a great list! Most of those I have heard of and researched. I have this this new Leather IWB holster from Versacarry. Very light, inexpensive but is comfortable and has great retention. I have been carrying for about 4 years now and I am an appendix guy, but wanted to try something else. I am very happy with this holster. Have all kind of styles for any pistol. If you get a moment lol them up here http://bit.ly/2OUgKH9 and check it out for yourself!

standerson

Post by standerson »

Nightengale leather in Medina makes good leather also.
Jude3

Post by Jude3 »

It’s an extensive list and impressive. How about suggestions? Shoulder carry when wearing a jacket? Waist band carry? Ankle holster? Real world suggestions much appreciated.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Jude3 wrote:It’s an extensive list and impressive. How about suggestions? Shoulder carry when wearing a jacket? Waist band carry? Ankle holster? Real world suggestions much appreciated.
How you carry is often a matter of preference. I like the shoulder holster myself, but that's how I usually carried when I was in civilian clothes on military duty and I usually carried that way when in uniform with the Army shoulder holster (no concealment value to that thing though). Shoulder holster is also nice while you're driving. Many prefer inside the waistband, but my waist is too large nowadays, so if i carry on the hip, I use outside the waistband. I did carry small of the back in the Army for a while, but that is a good way to collect injuries if you are in a tussle with someone or just fall wrong. It's also a PITA to draw the gun in a car.

Essentially, it's whatever floats your boat, but whichever way you do it, practice retention and draw.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand